10 Things You Can Do to Become the Best Version of Yourself
“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.” – William Faulkner
1. Be quick to embrace change, if needed. Always be open to the possibility that you may have to make adjustments in your life that will challenge old beliefs and behaviors.
2. Nurture self-belief. Be the first to believe in yourself. Recognize your strengths. Deal with weaknesses with a lot more self-compassion instead of beating yourself up for your perceived shortcomings.
3. Take a no-excuses approach in life. Grab the bull by the horns instead of staying in the safest path that may not lead you to the best life you want. Take calculated risks if you have to. And deal with mistakes and failures as opportunities for growth.
4. Always challenge yourself. Do something that you would rather avoid doing. And whenever you find yourself tempted to stay within your comfort zone, consider it as the best time to shake things up and do something you have not done before.
5. Manage negative emotions. Let go of anger before it consumes you. And difficult as it may be sometimes, avoid holding grudges. Take the high road by forgiving those who have wronged you in any way.
6. Be authentic. Say what you mean. Deal with others as honestly and directly as you can. Be sincere and genuine in your relationships with other people regardless if you like them or not.
7. Show respect. Whether it is to yourself or others, always strive to be respectful. Be polite regardless of how difficult it may be sometimes. Practice self-awareness and catch yourself doing anything that might disrespect others.
8. Keep learning. Nurture your curiosity and always explore ideas that can help you discover new things or ways of thinking. Make lifelong learning an integral part of your life.
9. Listen well. Hone your listening skills. Listen to what people have to say and learn to read between the lines. Listen to understand instead of waiting for a chance to say your piece.
10. Read and travel. Discover more about ideas and the world from books and from your experiences in unfamiliar places and cultures.